Monday, December 7, 2009

I'm celebrating the creating of my belly button!


Today, 40 years ago, I entered the world. I had no idea how fast the time would pass, no idea the many adventures I would embark upon, nor how much heart ache and tears I would shed over the past 40 years. I’ve been a bit apprehensive about this birthday. It’s like a pinnacle in some respects and no I don’t mean that it’s all downhill from here, it’s more like now I am officially 100% an adult but I don’t feel like one. I certainly don’t feel 40. I don’t feel like those adults I saw as a kid who looked and acted so old. Yes, the hair is a bit gray, and there are lines on my face that weren’t there a few years ago. My eyes have officially become 40, I look like I’m playing with a yo-yo when I answer my phone in order to see who is calling. But, I still wanted to sit on Santa’s lap when I saw him at the store yesterday and tell him my hearts wish and my secret wants. I still get excited about seeing my friends and spending time talking with girlfriends. I recently reconnected with my oldest friend, the sister of my heart, and it has felt like a piece of my heart has been put back in place and that makes me feel young.
There have been a lot of challenges throughout my 40 years, but now even though I don’t feel very mature in some situations, I have matured, matured in a way that I didn’t know I would or even could. My faith has grown up. I no longer feel like a child in my walk with God. I no longer need to be spoon-fed and I don’t need someone to hold my hand and walk me through passages of scripture. I have gone through the rebellious period that teenagers go through when God wasn’t cool and I could do it all myself. I think I was spiritually stunted in my growth for a long time because it took a while to turn back to my Heavenly Father. But I have grown, grown to the point that I can be thankful for everything that I have experienced.

Every. Single. Thing.

I still have questions about things, the intricacies of certain scripture passages and how to apply it to my life, but now I have more then just a religion. My faith is 100% totally based on my relationship with the amazing God of the Universe. I never thought that the trials and tribulations of my past would be something I would ever be thankful for, but now I can speak to others, share my story, and tell them how much God loves them too but more importantly, because it’s the hardest thing to understand, I can explain to them how He forgives them as well. Knowing that someone is forgiven opens the floodgates to healing and finally peace and joy.

Growing up in my faith has taken years but now I know how to battle Satan and I know how to forgive others and how to forgive myself. But true growth comes from the fact that now I can be thankful for all that I have been through and all that is to come. I know, no matter what, that now I’m growing up in God and maturing the relationship with Him and this is better then all the wishes on all my birthday candles coming true.

Over the next 6 weeks I am going to be doing a “coffee talk” using Lysa TerKeurst book, “What Happens When Women Say Yes To God.” This is one of my favorite books and did a lot to help me grow in my relationship with God. I'm still growing and not just older so some of my girlfriends are going to be coming to my house on Tuesday nights (starting 12/15) for a couple of hours to discuss the chapter that they read and how they are going to be saying “yes to God” in their life. If you are in the neighborhood and want to join us, just let me know.

I will also be blogging about each chapter on Wednesday morning so we can do a “coffee talk” here as well every Wednesday so if you aren't close by and want to join us, just let me know.  I'll be doing some fun stuff on the blog as well while we take this journey.

I am giving away one copy of “What Happens When Women Say Yes To God?” today for my birthday. Please leave a comment on the blog answering the question:
“What was your favorite birthday?”

Contest closes at 12:00 Monday night. Please leave email address so that I can contact you on Tuesday morning!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday my love!!

My favorite was my 16th birthday, when I gave my life to Christ. Being born again was the best present I could ever get.

(WH)

cceeyore said...

#31 ... the celebration of life after cancer ... and a beautiful 8-month old princess to help me celebrate!

Anonymous said...

My 40th birthday was the absolute best!!! Rob and I went to Mexico for five days and I jumped into an underground lake from a 15 foot cliff, fully clothed!!!

Welcome to the best decade -- at least so far :)

Love you!

Anonymous said...

My favorite birthday was April 1984 when I finally decided to let the man of my dreams and my soul mate come fully into my life, my husband Jim. Everything has been amazing since then, even the bumps and pot holes. Our walk together with God has been the best part. I Love You and have the best Birthday ever. Mama C

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! My favorite birthday was my 40th!!!! (several years ago now.)
Have a wonderful day!!!
~Kathy M.

Anonymous said...

My favorite is my next one, the older I get the more special each one becomes.
Hope your day is as special as you are.

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Sure there have been very special birthdays in the past , but my favorite will always be my next one because of the promise it represents .

Happy Birthday ! Hope this is your best year ever :)

Love you ~
Stephanie M .

Paul & Angela Jenkins said...

I think my favorite thus far was my 19th. I come from an abusive family where I didn't have birthdays. My 19th birthday was my first birthday celebrated. I felt free from my past and looked forward to what my future held.
asquared_4god@yahoo.com

Tammy McDaniel said...

My favorite birthday was my 16th birthday party. That was my last birthday party with several of my family members. My Great Granddaddy, My Memmie and my Uncle James. All are in Heaven with my WONDERFUL GOD!!! There they get to babysit my beautiful son nathaniel until the day I get to join him. Until then they get to celebrate his birthday every December 15th with him for me. I will wait patiently until we can all celebrate my baby's birthdays together.

Tammy McDaniel said...

my email is tym_2772@hotmail.com